Gaye G. Sprague
About the Member At-Large
Elected in 2009 to the City Council, Gaye is committed to helping the City of Greenville continue to thrive with a quality of life that attracts and keeps our young people here.
Those who know Gaye well understand that the experience she shares is not just limited to her professional abilities. Gaye’s consensus-building skills, sense of fair play, and ability to turn ideas into accomplishments have been honed during a lifelong commitment to not-for-profit groups that focus on education and community welfare.
A native of South Carolina and Greenville resident since 1983, Gaye is married to Joel Sprague. Their son Jay also lives in Greenville and is married to the former Mollie Hardaway, and they have two sons, John Colson Sprague and Reid Hardaway Sprague.
Employment & Education
Gaye is the owner and principal of Sprague and Sprague Consulting Engineers. Gaye has Bachelor's and Master's degrees in civil engineering from Clemson University.
- Gaye has been a Cub Scout den leader
- Co-president of the Augusta Circle Elementary PTA
- Co-president of the Hughes Academy PTSA
- Co-chair of the Beautification Committee for the Greenville High School PTSA
- Member and an elder at Westminster Presbyterian Church
Awards & Recognition
- Gaye was named the 2006 Engineer of the Year for the Piedmont Chapter of National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE).
- She was named South Carolina PTSA Volunteer of the Year in 1996.
Gaye is active in the Institute of Transportation Engineers and has served in all offices in the South Carolina Section and Southern District as well as on the International Board of Directors. She is also a member of the:
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Board member of the Children's Museum of the Upstate
- Board member of the Piedmont Health Foundation
- Member of the education committee for Greenville Women Giving
- Member of the Greenville High School Improvement Council
- National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE)
- Gaye served on the South Carolina Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors from 2002 to 2008.
- Gaye served as chair of the Board of the Greenville Transit Authority.
- Gaye served on the Greenville Chamber of Commerce Transportation Committee.